How many hours do you sit per day? Think about it…at work, in the car, watching TV, meals, etc. Fifty to seventy percent of people spend 6 or more hours sitting per day. This may be wrecking our bodies and shortening our lifespan.
Answer to this – MOVE MORE! Here are a few tips to integrate throughout your busy day to help fight the “sitting disease.”
- Stand more – set a timer and stand at least every hour
- Walk while on the phone (unless it has a cord!)
- Do not take the closest parking spot at the store – save your car and add extra steps
- Set a timer for every 20 minutes while at the office to remind you to get up and stretch or do a lap around the office
- Invest in a pedometer and count your steps – have a competition in your office
Studies have shown that sitting compresses your spine. For prolonged health, get up and move! Make your life a little healthier and easier.